Episode 57 is the fifty-seventh episode of the first season of Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?
Baron Wasteland steals the Nile River from Ancient Egypt in the year 3000 BC.
After a Data Boost at the time of the crime, the time pilots get a report from Millenia, who recalls the medieval Arab trade routes along the Sahara Desert of the 800's and 900's.
After some Global Pursuit in the 800's and 900's, the time pilots meet up with a canal digger who has just finished digging the Erie Canal. His clues lead the time pilots to the year 1825, where Baron Wasteland zaps their 'fact fuel.'
Following another Data Boost, the time pilots overhear Baron Wasteland telling Carmen that he's in Brazil, where mercury from gold mining is poisoning the fish. His clues lead the time pilots to the Amazon River in the 1980s, where they reclaim the Nile River and return it to Egypt.
Calvin captures Baron Wasteland, but Carmen escapes when Calvin entered the wrong side of the fifth portal costing him valuable time.
History of Trade and Rivers (Flight Plan)
- 1993: Billy Joel releases the album River of Dreams.
- 1977: President Carter signs the Panama Canal treaty.
- 1883: Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi is published.
- 1807: Britain abolishes the slave trade.
- 1778: George Washington hangs a chain along the Hudson River.
- 1610: Europe gets its first tea from Asia.
- 1497: Vasco Da Gama sails around the Cape of Good Hope.
- 3000 BC: The Nile River is used as an Ancient Egyptian trade route.
Trial Of Time Questions
Bold indicates correct answers.
Italics indicates incorrect answers.
Underline indicates the contestant answered the question after time ran out.
- It's around 600 B.C. What river irrigates the hanging gardens of Babylon?
- It's 1750. Over what river are bridges built to help London expand?
- It's 1825. The Erie Canal connects the Great Lakes to which ocean?
- It's 1927. Which Broadway show features the song "Ol' Man River"?
- It's 1987. Who pollutes the Amazon river with mercury?
- Oil Companies
- Gold Miners
- It's 1993. Which river is causing flooding in the Midwest?